At Home: How do CREST Awards work?
CREST is easy to run for parents, and you can adapt our simple, easy to understand framework to use at home.
- Start by choosing an Award level: Star, SuperStar, Discovery, Bronze, Silver or Gold. The amount and complexity of the work needed to gain an award increases at each level. Other than Silver and Gold, all levels can be assessed by parents or caregivers.
Find out more about choosing an award level.
- Your child picks a single project or series of challenges that will allow them to meet the criteria for their selected Award level. These projects can be around any STEM topic or theme. We have lots of fun, engaging and rewarding project ideas that you can use if you want inspiration. All CREST project ideas require very few resources, but we have curated a collection of project ideas that are ideal for completing at home.
Find out more about choosing a project idea.
- Guide your child through the project - we have lots of resources available to help you with this step.
- For Star, SuperStar, Discovery and Bronze awards, you assess your child's work and confirm that it meets the CREST criteria, using our platform. For Silver and Gold Awards, you will need to send in your child's work for assessment. (They can also submit it themselves if they are over 16 years old.)
- To receive your award certificates, you need to enter your child for their Awards and pay their entry fees. For Silver and Gold Awards, you need to pay the entry fees before we can assess a project.
CREST at home
Many families are having to juggle new ways of working while helping children learn throughout the day. CREST activities are a fantastic opportunity for your children to be engaged in fun science-based activities at home with very few resources. ...
At Home: How to run CREST Awards
CREST offers parents an easy-to-run system for at-home learning that is child-led, and encourages young people to take ownership of their own projects. You don't need to have much knowledge about science to run CREST at home. Sign up for a free CREST ...
At Home: How to choose a project idea
A CREST project can cover any aspect of science, depending on your child's interest: research; investigation, design or making; as well as science communication. We recognise that running CREST projects at home may provide barriers to the amount (if ...
At Home: The different types of CREST project
This article primarily refers to Silver and Gold levels, but is also relevant to Bronze. There are four eligible types of CREST project: Practical Investigation, Design & Make, Research, and Communication. The Research and Communication projects can ...
At Home: How can I get a mentor for my CREST Award?
For Silver and Gold Awards, it can be very helpful for students to work with a mentor on their project. We encourage students to access support from a mentor who works in a STEM field related to their CREST project topic. Mentors can play an ...