We are pleased to launch another round of grants supporting and enabling CREST awards with young people underrepresented in STEM. There are up to 75 grants available, aimed at schools and organisations working with young people. The application deadline is Friday 20th October 2017 at 6pm.
Our recent research into the impact of CREST Silver shows the benefits of CREST are even more significant for disadvantaged students:
CREST Silver students eligible for free school meals saw an increase in their best science GCSE score (two thirds of a grade) compared to a matched control group;
Students who were eligible for free school meals and took part in a CREST Silver Award were 38% more likely to take a STEM subject at AS Level than the matched control group.
How much can I apply for?
Applicants can request up to £600 total towards running CREST awards, this breaks down into two categories:
Up to £300 to cover CREST registration fees (you can find registration costs here)
Up to £300 to spend on support costs for running the Awards, such as CPD for school staff, supply teacher cover, CREST link schemes or a delivery partner, consumables or equipment.
• You are applying on behalf of a school or organisation to run CREST Awards in the United Kingdom
• Participating students will be aged 11-19 years
• Your Award(s) will be completed by Friday 22nd June 2018
In addition, preference will be given to schools that can be described as one or more of the following:
• In England, you have 35% of pupils, or above, that are eligible for pupil premium according to the 2016-17 figures
• In Wales, you have 35% of pupils, or above, eligible for free school meals according to the Welsh Pupil Deprivation Grant school allocations 2016-17
• In Scotland, you are in an area in the top 25% most deprived according to the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation
• In Northern Ireland, you are in an area in the top 25% most deprived according to the Northern Ireland Multiple Deprivation Measures
• Your school has a high proportion of pupils (over 30%) who are from black or minority ethnic backgrounds
• You are a small school based in a remote and rural location (settlement of less than 10,000 people with a drive time of over 30 minutes to a settlement of 10,000 or more)
We will take the following into account when assessing applications:
- How you will use this funding to reach students that do not typically engage in STEM subjects. This may include all genders, ethnicities, students who are eligible for Pupil Premium, or who have special educational needs or disabilities.
- Whether your school faces challenging circumstances, as defined above.
- Whether you have participated in the CREST Awards programme in the last two years
- Whether you propose to run activities at more than one CREST Award level or with more than one group of students.
How to apply
The application deadline is Friday 20th October 2017 at 6pm.