How do CREST Awards work?
CREST is easy to run, and you can adapt the framework for many different settings: the classroom, a club, a youth group, or at home.
- Start by choosing an Award level: Star, SuperStar, Discovery, Bronze, Silver or Gold. The amount and complexity of the work needed to gain an award increase at each level.
Find out more about choosing an award level.
- Students pick a single project or series of challenges that will allow them to meet the criteria for their selected Award level. These projects can be around any STEM topic or theme. We have lots of fun, engaging and rewarding project ideas that you can use if you want inspiration.
Find out more about choosing a project idea.
- Guide your students through the project - we have lots of resources available to help you with this step.
- For Star, SuperStar, Discovery and Bronze awards, you assess your students' work and confirm that it meets the CREST criteria. For Silver and Gold Awards, you will need to send in your students' work for assessment.
- To receive your award certificates, you need to enter your students for their Awards and pay their entry fees. For Silver and Gold Awards, you need to pay the entry fees before we can assess a project.
Find out how to enter students for CREST Awards.
At Home: How do CREST Awards work?
CREST is easy to run for parents, and you can adapt our simple, easy to understand framework to use at home. Start by choosing an Award level: Star, SuperStar, Discovery, Bronze, Silver or Gold. The amount and complexity of the work needed to gain ...
Enter an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) for a CREST Award
If your students are working towards an Extended Project Qualification in an area related to science, technology, engineering or maths, they can gain extra recognition for their work by entering your project for a CREST Gold Award. There’s a lot of ...
Using CREST for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award
You can do project work in science, technology, engineering or maths (STEM) and count it towards your DofE Skills section through the CREST Awards scheme. Lots of people think of ‘skills’ as being related to art, music or drama, but we know that ...
Uploading your students’ work
Star and SuperStar You do not need to upload any work for Star or SuperStar Awards. Discovery and Bronze For Discovery and Bronze, we ask for a sample of work from 10% of your students. E.g. if you have 10 students or less, upload 1 student's work, ...
How to run CREST Awards
CREST offers educators an easy-to-run framework for curriculum enhancement and is student-led, encouraging young people to take ownership of their own projects. CREST can be run in schools, clubs, youth groups, other organisations or at home. Check ...